Sunday, January 17, 2010

Forget it, Jake... It's Chinatown...

I've recently been catching up with movies I've should've seen a long time ago. Recently, it was Hal Ashby's Harold and Maude and, tonight it was Roman Polanski's Chinatown. Both movies are equally worth the hype.

With Harold and Maude, I can see what influenced Wes Anderson's style. I feel Rushmore is a close to flawless film and see something new with every viewing, but, Harold had to of been a model for Max.

I've recently read a number of Raymond Chandler's novels, so, watching Chinatown kind of brought Phillip Marlowe's LA to life, for me. Although Jake Gittes seems a little more well to do than Marlowe, he has that same swagger and attitude. If this movie were made 25 years earlier, it would have been a role tailor made for Humphrey Bogart.

Next up, Akira Kurosawa's Kagemusha...

No comments:

Post a Comment